Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy
Financial Compliance Specialist
The Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy (SAHC) is an established land trust serving a 10-county region in the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee. Since 1974, we have conserved more than 48,000 acres of the region's most important lands. We are now pursuing land and conservation easement acquisitions to protect thousands more key acres.
Description : Full-time, permanent, full benefits. The Financial Compliance Specialist is responsible for internal accounting, financial tracking and reporting, foundation and government grant reporting, taxes, licensing, administration of human resources, benefits, and other non-profit compliance matters. The Financial Compliance Specialist reports to and is supervised by the Associate Director. Specific responsibilities include:
1. Manage and use accounting software to track and reconcile incoming revenue and expense accounting data. Prepare reports to communicate this information to staff and board. Ensure reliability of grant management fund accounting and tracking.
2. Prepare monthly and interim financial statements and ensure their accuracy and timeliness.
3. Implement compliance with financial and contract reporting requirements for private and public funding, licensing or regulatory agencies. Ensure timely payment of all taxes and licensing fees.
4. Ensure complete and up-to-date operating procedures for all accounting and financial controls. Implement effective internal controls to assure safeguarding of assets and reliability of financial statements.
5. Provide support to Associate Director, who serves as the staff liaison with the Treasurer and the Board Finance Committee.
6. Work with board and staff to develop, implement, and revise as needed SAHC investment policies, financial allocation systems, endowment policies and others.
7. Review receipts and disbursements; ascertain correct account distribution; and ensure support documentation is accurate and in order.
8. Work with staff and board to develop annual budgets and cash flow projections.
9. Work with staff to ensure proper preparation for annual financial audit.
10. Provide support to Associate Director in managing and evaluating SAHC's risk management, ensuring insurance polices are sufficient and have competitive rates.
11. Provide support on administration of SAHC human resources and benefits, including managing payroll and associated taxes and fees, health insurance and other benefits.
12. Perform other responsibilities and activities as deemed appropriate by the Executive Director and Associate Director.
• BA/BS or Associate degree in related field and 2 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Ability to keep accurate financial reports in accordance with General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Experience working for a land trust or other non-profit desirable.
• Excellent organizational skills. Attention to detail, self-motivated with the ability to see what needs to be done and to work independently, with little supervision.
• Experience with non-profit financial administration, including budgeting, reconciling revenue and expenditures, grant tracking, and fund accounting. Understanding of Quickbooks Pro accounting software and Microsoft Office Suite.
• Computer literacy (PC and Mac platforms), especially experience in accounting, bookkeeping and related computer software, database management, word processing, spreadsheets, and networking trouble-shooting skills.
• Experience with administration of human resources and benefits matters.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, Ability to communicate effectively with people, agencies and organizations.
• Commitment to land conservation.
• Tact and strong diplomacy skills. Talent for maintaining forward momentum in delicate situations.
• Persistence, sense of humor, and entrepreneurial spirit. Ability to balance and pursue multiple projects simultaneously. High tolerance for meeting competing demands efficiently, without becoming flustered.
• Desire and talent for working as part of a team. Enthusiastic, creative, self-motivated individual able to work with and motivate coworkers and volunteers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Job Category : Full-time Exempt (40 hours/week)
Salary : Commensurate with experience and skills. SAHC provides a competitive benefits package to full-time employees, which includes health insurance, retirement fund, and paid vacation.
To Apply : Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to Kristy Urquhart - firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include “Finance Compliance” in subject line. No phone calls please. Open until filled. SAHC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.